November 05, 2006

Day of the Dead

Dias de Los Muertos (also known as) Day of the Dead. Yes, it sounds very macabre, but really it is a positive and joyful celebration. A time to celebrate the lives of people whom we've loved and lost to death. A Mexican holiday tradition.

Okay, so I'm not Mexican, sue me.

But I am latina. More specifically, Bascillian. (Not even really sure I know how to spell that) but basically my ancestors on both sides are from the most northern basque regions of Spain.

Myself, having grown up in California and having parents and grandparents who were born and raised in New Mexico, I feel very connected with New Mexican culture. However, not so much with Mexico's. But this year I am celebrating Day of the Dead ......and yes, it will involve knitting!

Soooooo........I have knitted these in memory of my dead sister Julianne.






















Legwarmers! Yes totally 80's, I know.

But ya see, my sister (Julianne Romero) was a dancer in the 80's. And not just for fun ya know. It was her passion and it was her career. She graduated high school early so that she could entertain on a cruise ship. By the time she was in her early 20's.....she had danced and sang pretty much the entire world over. Tragically, her career and life was cut short when it was discovered (at the age of 24 while she was in Mexico on vacation) that she had an in-operable brain tumor.

It was a very sad time.......and I've talked and blogged much about her....but in trying to come up with a knitting project to make in her honor, I came across a leg warmers pattern in the one skein book.

A perfect thing to knit for Day of the Dead in Julianne's honor because leg warmers remind me of her and of this poster she had in her bedroom while growing up.


Ever since I could remember, I looked up to my sis. Not only because she was 7 years older than me and therefore taller, but because she was a spirited, happy, independant person. Everything that I wanted to be.

She never seemed to be embarrassed by her "little sisters". Even when she was a teenager, she seemed proud to have me around. She was very thoughtful and generous. When I was little I would often find little presents hidden under my pillow from her. A pack of gum, or a book of stickers.....especially on the days that she would be leaving for her next cruise.

My sis. hmmmmmmm.......She taught me to love musical theatre. She taught me how to carry a tune,the importance of good dance posture, how to act and entertain on a stage. She inspired me to be a generous person, a good friend, and an excellent pen-pal.

I miss her a lot.

Today I will be celebrating Day of the Dead with many friends. Eating drinking,laughing and remembering. And will feel proud to put her knitted legwarmers on the Day of the Dead altar in her memory and then give them to my own daughter to wear to her own dance classes.




Here are some lyrics to an 80's song that was a favorite of Julianne's. Another thing that reminds me of her.


Happy Dia De Las Muertos.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

That was a beautiful tribute to your sister. I'm so sorry you lost her so early but so glad to hear of the wonderful relationship you had with her.
Many blessings going out to you today!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're even prettier in person. Thanks for coming to the DOTD party!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like the legwarmers fit Olivia very nicely!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

So great to see you yesterday! I think the legwarmers were a wonderful memorial to your sister.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very sweet story and a touching tribute to your sister. Those legwarmers seem very appropriate for a dancing sister:)

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home